Last week, I received notification of an annual writing competition I’d been planning to submit to. I learned about the contest last year, but didn’t have enough on paper at that time to feel confident about a submission. So, I decided this year would be the year.
I spent all day last Friday editing a copy of my manuscript to send in. I was on such a roll, I didn’t go to bed until 3:45 Saturday morning. I kept writing on Saturday until around 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon, and I finished. In total, it was 260ish pages long.
I was in the process of copy-pasting a synopsis into the manuscript. I had several files open. I decided while I was at it, I wanted to change some file names, so I saved and closed a bunch of things, then did my renaming.
It was then I realized I’d just overwritten my manuscript with the one-page synopsis document. I had no back-ups and no earlier versions of the file in this format. (The original copy of the whole book – with all my pre-edit notes is still in Scrivener. Saturday would have been a dark day, if that wasn’t the case).
To say I felt like a total idiot would be a huge understatement. I really did want to kick my own ass. But, it was a day and a half lost, that’s all. I’ve WASTED a lot more time than that. And now I know what changes I want to make, so…yeah, I’m doing it all over.
I’m about half-way (again), and I saved a versioned copy, just in case.
At least I learn…